FACT ONE - RSSDA is the acronym for ‘The Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency’. It is a strategic initiative of the Rivers State Government set up by Law in 2007 to refocus development efforts in the area of Poverty Alleviation, grassroot development and Youth empowerment.
- The Agency’s vision is to be the reference point for sustainable development transforming Rivers State rural and urban economies from dependency to self sufficiency
- RSSDA’s mission is to partner international and local development agencies, line ministries, and the government of the State to lift the poor in Rivers State above poverty line through deliberate and sustainable intervention programmes and projects
- RSSDA’s core values are passion for the poor, integrity, accountability, respect for people and transparency
- The Agency’s flagship programmes include the State Governor’s Special Overseas Scholarship Scheme, the Greater Horizon Opportunity Programme, the Songhai Rivers Initiative Farm in Bunu Tai, and the Workmanship and Technical Training Centre in Bor.
- The Agency works in partnership with organizations such as UNITAR, Shell Petroleum Development Company, Total E&P Company, Dutch Agricultural Development and Training Company (DADTCO), Rogaland Kurs Kompetensesenter (RKK), Rivers State University of Science and Technology, International Fertilizer Development Centre, Highbury College, UK, Rivers State line ministries, etc.
- About 60% of the Agency’s budget goes into the running of the Governor’s Special Overseas Scholarship Programme.
- The Agency’s three core intervention areas are Education, Agriculture, and Job creation.
- In its short existence, the Agency has already impacted the lives of some communities through agriculture, aquaculture, education, health and telecommunication programmes in each of the 23 Local Government Areas of the State.
- RSSDA is the 2012 winner of the coveted International Star for Leadership in Quality award